Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Fantastic Voyage or, Conversely, What the Bleep Do We Know?

One of the defining characteristics of Modernist writing is a sort of abstinence from expressing the personal. There is an attempt to walk the line between the interior landscape and the exterior; they try to find a balance between the interior and the exterior. There is a representation of the external universe. Visually, it is the narrowest point on the hourglass: the upper reservoir is the outside world, and the lower reservoir is the inside world. Three of the authors examined this semester walk that line in profoundly different places: Charlotte Perkins Gilman, Ezra Pound and Robert Frost all explore the ranges of this paradigm.

Intro from a take home final from the same lit class last summer. I like The hourglass visualization, and find it hard to think that I came up with that all by myself. But I think I actually did.

No comments: